Pages

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Star Trek: First Contact - The Next Generation's Finest Moment



"Captain's log: stardate 50893.5. The moment I have dreaded for nearly six years has finally arrived. The Borg, our most lethal enemy, have begun an invasion of the Federation, and this time, there may be no stopping them."


I love this movie. In fact thinking about it this is definitely one of my favourite films of all time.
I love the opening with Picards nightmare where it sets up for people that don't know what has gone on before with him and the Borg.
I remember at the time when I first saw the Enterprise-E how much of a relief it was to see they had gone down the smaller route compared to the Enterprise-D. It's a cool looking ship and I'm glad apart from giving it a bitch slapping in the last few films they never felt the need to blow it up.
Anyway, Picard is told he is a liability (in a non-direct way) and they totter off to the neutral zone to do a few sensor sweeps and then we here the Borg attack on earth taking place.
"I'm about to commit a direct violation of our orders. If anyone wishes to object do so now, I will make a note of it in my log."

"Sir, I think I speak for everyone when I say: To hell with our orders."

I know when discussing Generations with others in the past I've expressed how much I didn't like Data and his emotion chip in that film but I do like it's use here and Brent Spiner does a good job all through this film.
Great battle against the Borg cube and I love the different ships which obviously includes The Defiant taking a beating. Great re-introduction to Worf who by this time had already buggered off to DS9 but slotted back into the crew perfectly. Love the "You do remember how to fire phasers...?"comment by Riker. Just as well the Defiant was salvageable right?


Hey look, it's the Millennium Falcon (Middle left of the picture)when the Borg cube explodes.

Love the intro we get to meet "The Great" Zefram Cochrane who is nothing but a drunk genius and the no nonsense Lily Sloane (Who I think Picard should of got a bit closer with).
James Cromwell is fantastic although these days I can't help but think that it was Prince Phillip who invented Warp drive.
Skipping ahead to when Picard and the others see the Phoenix for the first time it's a nice little moment between Data and himself.
With the Borg taking over the ship I like how we see a couple of normal Starfleet crew nobodies doing engineering stuff. But there is no way I'd go into the Jeffery's tube on my own like they both did. I do like seeing all the nobody crew members being attacked by The Borg in that montage when the Enterprise is being overrun.
Love all the cameos in this film. Dwight Schultz, Ethan Phillips and the always fantastic Robert Picardo as the EMH. I read that Phillips' role went uncredited down to a request made by himself to confuse fans who may or may not recognise him from his role as Neelix. Robert Picardo's scene as the EMH was met with protest by Gates McFadden apparently, Anyone know why?
Alice Krige as The Borg Queen is great and her introduction has to be one of the greatest intros in all 10 Trek films so far. Manipulative of Data she lures him into her web so convincingly and her shock when she realises Data has mugged he off at the end it cool.
"Time line? This is no time to be arguing about time! We don't have the time!... what was I saying?"

Troi is this film is really good and for once I don't feel she is just there for the sake of being in the Next Gen show. Her scene in the bar when she is drunk is hilarious and does anyone else think you can see Rikers love for her in this?
Lily and Picards argument where she compares him to Captain Ahab is also a great scene. Well acted by both of them and his anger is scary.
"In my century, we don't succumb to revenge. We have a more evolved sensibility.
"Bullshit!"
"I will not sacrifice the Enterprise. We've made too many compromises already; too many retreats. They invade our space, and we fall back. They assimilate entire worlds, and we fall back. Not again. The line must be drawn here! This far, no further! And I will make them pay for what they've done!"

I love it when the Phoenix finally launches with Cochrane, Geordie and Riker and there is that moment when he panics until he puts Steppenwolf's Magic Carpet Ride in the player.
when it launches into space it pulls the old heart strings every time as I can't help but think the human race is finally uniting and coming together as one.

And it was obvious First Contact was always going to be with the Vulcans but was there anything before this film in Trek continuity stating that this was the case?
I think Jonathan Frakes does a grand job directing this film and although he never meets the heights of Mr Nimoy when it comes to the directors chair he still gets my respect for bringing this to the screen.

A few questions -
Why was sickbays door locked when Crusher was treating Lily thus meaning the Borg trying to get in had to smash it to get it open?

Why were the crew on the surface telling Cochrane everything left right and centre? Talk about irresponsible behaviour. No wonder the man tried to do a runner. How on earth did he managed to keep his gob shut when it came to the show Enterprise?

Obviously they were to return in Voyager (I've not seen many episodes where the Borg Queen returned to be honest) but I have always wondered how they could of come back if she had been destroyed in this film? Surely the Borg are connected to each other no matter how far away they are?


Smashing film and it only just beats Nemesis for me as best of the Next Gen films.

1 comment:

  1. I have a signed Brent Spiner copy. Not telling you whom I might be, but you know me and you are now jealous I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete