Pages

Thursday, January 31, 2013

The Amazing Spider-Man: Web slings into my favourite superhero films.

It's not until you watch Marc Webb's The Amazing Spider-Man again you realise how poor Sam Raimi's films were.
Don't get me wrong I enjoyed Raimi's films, Spider-Man was an interesting and good if slightly underwhelming film. Spider-Man 2 was completely awesome. Spider-Man 3 was a total mess but the reboot is more the sort of Spider-Man I liked reading within the Ultimate version of the character. Marc Webb has done a great job of telling what is essentially the same story over again, but in a more in-depth way.

Andrew Garfield portrays the science genius of Peter Parker without being the full blown nerd that Toby Maguire was perfectly and while Raimi's Spider-man films brought in many new fans for the franchise and made Spidey more 'mainstream' I think many did not realise MJ didn't actually come into Peter's life until later. I think the absence of her in this film was a good decision because Gwen Stacy (Peter's first love) played an important role in his younger years. Emma Stone was a breath of fresh air compared to the eventual tedium that was Kirsten Dunst as MJ.

Rhys Ifans as Curt Conner's/The Lizard was ok but nothing special. He gets enough screen-time and action to be a pretty cool villain but if I've one complaint with him it's that I wish they would've his face look more reptile looking. The CGI is very well done on him. I also liked that they didn't make Connor's really evil, just insane because of the serum. Also the fact that they didn't kill him off makes me happy. I wouldn't mind seeing him again sometime.
I really enjoyed Martin Sheen as Uncle Ben he was far better than Cliff Robertson (from Raimi's films). The same goes for Sally Fields as Aunt May over Rosemary Harris. Denis Leary as Captain Stacy was also brilliant.
The subway scene where Peter first experiences his new found powers is a favourite of mine and I loved the good Lord Stan Lee's cameo.
The only thing about this film that bugs me is the convenience of the layout of cranes throughout the city towards the end of the film. It was going so well without that silliness  and that had to go and ruin it. All in all though I think Marc Webb has done a superb job on the Spider-man reboot

I look forward to The Amazing Spider-Man 2 which is due in 2014. Jamie Foxx has already signed as Electro and only last week it was reported Paul Giamatti has joined the cast as Rhino. I'm not sure how I feel about the Rhino news but it's almost like it's heading toward Batman & Robin territory. I'm looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment