Pages

Friday, June 15, 2012

Camden Film Fair 26th May - When I met Bobby Rhodes.


On the 26th of May I popped a long to the Camden Film Fair. One of the main reasons I wanted to go had to be because italian actor Bobby Rhodes made a guest appearance at the event.

I'm guessing most of you won't know who he is (and shame on you) but Bobby Rhodes was born in 1947 in Livorno, Italy. He first began acting in films in the late 1960s and was frequently cast as hard-as-nails two-fisted macho-guy types in various Italian war, action, and horror features made throughout the 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s.
I know Bobby Rhodes from his role as Tony the Pimp in Lamberto Bava's outrageously gruesome cult horror film Demons (1985) and as rugged gym instructor Hank in the equally enjoyable sequel Demons 2 (1986).

If you have ever seen the two films above you will know how good they are. I first watched them back in the 80's when my Dad used to rent videos from the local video shop. I still wonder to this day why a parent would let a kid under ten watch that but I don't hold it against him. To this day though they still scare the bejeesus out of me. Here is the link to the Italian trailer for Demons 2 - LINK . Watch it and you will get the point.

Anyway I was really chuffed to meet him. It was lovely to see lots of other people queueing to meet him and when I got my chance to say hello he was such a nice man and I went a bit fan boy.
I managed to mumble to him how cool I thought he was and I mentioned how at the age of 33 the films still scare me to death. He was rather amazed by this but like I said to him, now I've met him I was hoping to put some of these 'Demons' to rest. Which incidentally I haven't as I've watched one of them since and it still disturbs me.

For fear of rambling again I'm going to leave it now but I will end saying how much of a high meeting Bobby Rhodes left me on and while I'll probably never meet him again it's a memory that will remain with me for a long long time.

Thank you Bobby it was a pleasure to meet you.

No comments:

Post a Comment