Pages

Sunday, May 02, 2010

She's not the Messiah, She's a very naughty girl!



The Doctor: Amy, I am nine hundred and seven years old, do you know what that means?
Amy Pond: It's been a while?
The Doctor: Ye..No! No! NO! I'm 907 years old and look at me. I dont get older, I just change. You get older. And I dont. And this can't ever work.
Amy Pond: Aw, you are sweet Doctor, but i wasnt looking for anything so long term.


So last nights episode of Doctor Who featured a rather unexpected scene at the end between Amy and the Doctor when she basically tried to get his sonic screwdriver out. YES! Amy tried it on with him and was very suggestive with it. We also picked up that she also doesn't mind a one night stand despite the fact she is getting married the following morning.

I could smell the fan boy rage last night after the broadcast and I'm reading that rage as I write this morning (I'll come to that in a minute).

So what do I think?

While I wasn't expecting this I can't say it shocked me that much as the new series has so far been pretty much 'out there' with the things it has been doing.

I think it was rather refreshing to be honest. Lets look at it this way. Amy had just been in a life threatening situation and was in a highly emotional state. She wanted to show gratitude for him saving her life. OK, it's not the most ideal way to thank someone but we already know that Amy is very comfortable with herself.

Anyone remember her reaction when she watched the Doctor change into his new clothes in the first episode? She was watching him get all naked then and even passed comment what she thought then (I forget what exactly).

I like how he made it clear he had no interest as well indicating he's what I would call a 'Classic' Doctor in the way that he is a very non-sexual person now and no longer the Russell T Davies romanced up fellow we came to know with Doctor Ten and his Rose and Martha's.



One thing that never fails to amaze me though are the overreacting super fans.

As of this morning I've read that Amy is -

An evil whore.
A slapper.
A slag.
A woman with no morals.

On and on...

Apparently the fact Moff wrote the fantastic comedy 'Coupling' hasn't helped ether and has clearly influenced him here with handling Amy's advances toward the Doctor!?!
After all 'Coupling' was a sex comedy wasn't it? No, I don't remember it being just that ether.

The "Moff has no respect for the show" excuse has cropped up again as well which is just utter bollocks if you ask me. As I said in my other Doctor Who blog I think he respects the show more that Russell T.Davies ever did.

Again it's fair enough if people don't like it but surely posting stuff like the above is just too much considering you get far worse on Eastenders? And although I have not got any statistics I'm guessing a lot of children watch that as well as Doctor Who?

Words escape me really. Lucky for me I am able to control my fandom so that I remain balanced... most of the time ;)



Gallifreyan Official: You're only making it worse for yourself!
Innocent Doctor Who Fan: Making it worse? How can it be worse? Amy Pond! Amy Pond! Amy Pond!
Gallifreyan Official: I'm warning you! If you say "Amy Pond" one more time (gets hit with rock) RIGHT! Who did that? Come on, who did it?
Stoners: She did! She did! (suddenly speaking as men) He! He did! He!
Gallifreyan Official: Was it you?
Stoner: Yes.
Gallifreyan Official: Right...
Stoner:Well you did say "Amy Pond."
[Crowd throws rocks at the stoner]
Gallifreyan Official: STOP IT! STOP IT! STOP IT RIGHT NOW! STOP IT! All right, no one is to stone _anyone_ until I blow this whistle. Even... and I want to make this absolutely clear... even if they do say, "Amy Pond"
[Crowd stones the Gallifreyan Official to death]

Cheers.

2 comments:

  1. I think that Moffat is completely right in writing in something like this into the script. If you saw "Doctor Who Confidential" after, they mentioned about the particular scene, and why they chose to include it.

    They explained that after so many years why hasn't a assistant acted like this before? (Aside from the conservative very british nature of not allowing this kind of scene being shown on TV at that time of day).

    Who wouldn't come across in this manner after meeting a man like this and his magic 'bigger-on-the-inside' blue box which could take you anywhere in time and space AND be so clever - not to mention saving hundreds of people's lives including your own.
    I CERTAINLY would be attracted to this man.

    They're right in creating this scene. It has always been in the nature of Doctor Who to include scenes and phrases which are for the parental audience without disregarding the younger audience's presence. The scene is perfectly scripted as to not be confrontal on the issue and not bring the younger audience to question it, but perfect enough for the older audience to know what is going on.

    ReplyDelete